Product psychology - what should you know before commercializing a new product?
- Knowledge of the psychological principles underlying customer behavior is essential to understanding consumer decisions and conducting commercialization in a way that encourages the purchase of a product.
- Before making a rational purchase decision, the customer subconsciously already knows what brand he is interested in.
- In order for a new product to succeed in the market, the right target group must be chosen.
- One of the most important points of branding is consistency, so that our target audience starts to feel positive emotions.
- By using a celebrity's image in advertising, we can make a real impact on increasing sales profits. In modern business, this is an important part of sales psychology.
- It turns out that colors also have a huge impact on the perception of goods in the sales process, so it is important to also pay attention to this issue when creating marketing psychology strategies.
- An interesting procedure that positively influences brand perception is the personalization of products addressing the needs of the customer which marketing psychology uses.
Psychological strategies are an important part of marketing communications to understand before commercializing your products. It's understanding how people perceive, interact and ultimately buy. Knowing the psychological principles underlying customer behavior is essential to understanding consumer decisions and conducting commercialization in a way that encourages the purchase of a product.
The (un)rational consumer?
Many models regarding consumer attitudes and decision-making assume that consumers are primarily guided by reason and economic factors before purchasing a particular good. However, with the development of the field of marketing, marketing research and psychology turns out to be somewhat different in reality.
Before making a rational purchase decision, the customer subconsciously already knows what brand he is interested in. His acquisition of information about other goods is only to reassure him to purchase the product he originally thought of.
So why, for example, does a consumer choose to buy a seemingly inferior good at a time when he or she is aware of other better products?
Influence of the product brand
For a new product to achieve success in the market, you need to choose the right target group. It is very rare that goods designed for and advertised among all demographic groups appear on the market. Once we have identified potential customers we should move on to analyzing their preferences. What they expect from a particular product, what they think it should have, and what price it should have.
Once we have the necessary information, it is necessary to start creating the right brand image and the product itself so that our consumers are willing to buy our goods. One of the most important points of branding is consistency so that our target audience begins to feel positive emotions. We are committed to creating a certain kind between buyers and the brand. Thanks to it, there is a greater chance of loyalty on the part of consumers, and thus greater profits.
Sales psychology in the context of ambassadors
Today, many brands and products have ambassadors. The ambassador is usually a well-known person, such as an actor or sportsman. It must be characterized by recognition and sympathy among the public. By using the image of a celebrity in advertising, we can make a real impact on increasing sales profits. In modern business, this is an important part of sales psychology.
In 2017, Arskom Group conducted a study on the effectiveness of an advertising campaign using the image of a famous athlete, which proved an increase in the effectiveness of product sales by as much as 30%.
However, an ambassador alone is not enough for a product to succeed. We should choose the right person so that he or she strengthens the brand's image, not demolishes it. Therefore, first of all, we should be wary of celebrities who stir up controversy or often cause scandals.
Another important consideration in selecting an ambassador is to avoid celebrities who have recently advertised quite a few other brands and goods. When consumers once again see the same face in more and more commercials, it will certainly not increase their interest in our product, but only create frustration and negative emotions.
The power of influencers
In recent years, a new kind of celebrity has been born - influencers . Most of them began their careers in Social Media, creating materials on specific topics. Over the years they have managed to gather huge audiences. This is especially noticeable in the beauty industry. Young girls without makeup training provided accessible makeup tutorials, for other young women who were beginning to enter the world of makeup. After a while, the creators even became an authority for a huge number of people. The cosmetics brands knew how to make good use of this.
Paid partnerships began to emerge, where beauty companies sent PR packages of cosmetics for influencers to test. When a particular product proved itself and was promoted by a popular person, it was bought up en masse in stores and drugstores . Trust, authority and the desire for "good and proven" products mean that cosmetics recommended by influencers are readily purchased.
Due to their enormous influence on the audience of watchers, they are the right people to promote our product to a specific audience. However, to avoid failure, we should only work with those who are in the right industry.
Recently, many inconsistencies could be seen between the advertised products and the content that Influencers generally provide. This reflected negatively on their image, as well as on the credibility of the advertised goods.
Psychological strategies vs. the power of color
It is not only with the image and advertising of the product that we can influence consumer behavior. It turns out that colors also have a huge impact on the perception of goods in the sales process, so it is important to also pay attention to this issue when creating marketing psychology strategies.
Here are some examples of what colors best reflect the purpose of the products.
- Green color immediately brings to mind nature and tranquility, so it is good to include this color in organic and natural products, as well as pro-health.
- Red color Is intense, sometimes even aggressive. Depending on the cultural background, it can be associated with danger or courage. Depending on how red is interpreted, it is used on medical device packaging or in products aimed at people who want to stand out. It is also often used during store sales to further attract consumer attention.
- Blue color is a color that perfectly reflects calmness, purity and lightness, as well as intelligence and lightness. Many IT-related companies use blue in their products, such as Microsoft and Samsung. Another good example of the use of this color is any mineral water or light food products.
- Black color is all about elegance and luxury. Very often, actors appearing in commercials for exclusive goods are dressed in black to further emphasize the nature of the products.
It's also a good idea to keep a newly implemented product in the same color scheme, as this will certainly make it easier to encode them in the minds of consumers and benefit the marketing of a product.
Psychology of marketing - endless possibilities
In addition to the previously mentioned ways of influencing consumers' perception of products, there are definitely more. An interesting procedure that positively influences the perception of a brand is the personalization of products addressing the needs of the customer which marketing psychology uses. In addition to taking into account the customer's comments and meeting his basic expectations, we can further distinguish him by personalizing the goods. This will certainly evoke positive emotions in him and at the same time improve the image of our product in his eyes. Product personalization is especially important in B2B sales.
The key to successful selling
We already know that before we should pay attention to many factors. Starting with the appearance of the product itself so that it is, as much as possible, consistent with its purpose through the appropriate creation of its image by selecting influential people for advertising campaigns and taking into account customer comments.
The key to success and successful sales is to meet all the expectations and needs of our consumers, and to establish a long-term relationship so that they remain loyal to our products.